7 Tips on How Families Can Improve Family Time
Published On: July 15, 2019
The amount of time that families spend interacting and building relationships together is declining. As such, many children do not get the personal attention from their parents they crave and need.
Both the quality and the quantity of time spent together are equally important. It is one thing to require your kids to participate in family time, and quite another to engage in something that everyone enjoys. Here are some tips and ideas to help you start thinking about fun, creative, and enjoyable family time activities.
1. Shut off the electronics and read together. Reading can not only help your child improve their vocabulary and comprehension skills; it also stimulates their imaginations. Find books, magazines, and other reading materials that your children enjoy. Take turns reading, and afterward ask each other questions about the material.
2. Make apoint to eat dinner together as often as possible. This is another opportunity to spend quality family time together. All electronics should be turned off and not allowed at the dinner table. While eating, ask questions, such as: “What was one good thing and one bad thing that happened today?” Let each person share and then discuss their answers.
3. Start a new project or hobby that interests your child. From teaching them how to cook and bake to building model rockets and painting, there are plenty of hobbies and projects you can explore. Once your child can do something on their own, let them take the lead the next time you spend time on the project or hobby.
4. Schedule a weekly family game night. Instead of everyone going their separate ways after dinner, continue to spend time together with a family game night. You can play board games, card games, or video games. Just make sure the game sparks interest for the entire family.
5. Spend time together while doing assigned chores. Another way to enjoy some quality family time is by helping your child with their assigned chores. For instance, you can put dishes away as they hand them to you while unloading the dishwasher or hand them dirty dishes to load the dishwasher.
6. Plan outdoor activities. To further disconnect from electronics and spend time together as a family, find things everyone likes doing outside. From riding bikes and playing in the park to swimming and hockey, outdoor activities are a great opportunity for family interactions.
7. Plan a holiday vacation together. Whether you want to go camping, to the beach, boating, or surprise them with a trip to the theme parks in Orlando, make sure the holiday vacation is something everyone will enjoy.
When you spend time together, make sure you listen to what your child is saying and be respectful of their feelings. By being supportive, listening, and spending family time together, they are more likely to come to you when they have a problem.
For help addressing concerns over family communication or other family issues, feel free to contact Bayridge Counselling Centres at 905-319-4188 today!